Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 1996 21:20:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      James Hu <jxh@cs.wustl.edu>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions Mailgroup)
Subject:   interpretation?

Gary Kline <kline@tera.com> writes:
> Can any resident C wizard interpret this parameter definition for me?
>> localtime(const time_t * const timep)

        timep is a constant pointer to a time_t constant

an equivalent type is: time_t const * const timep

        timep is a constant pointer to a constant time_t

although it reads a little differently.

What timep is saying is not only are the contents of the pointer
a constant (the constant time_t), but it itself will never change
value (the constant pointer).

> And, is there a simpler way of saying the same thing?

No.

Read the C faq (and its references) for a detailed explanation.

-- James