Date:      Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:11:25 -0500
From:      Madhusudan Singh <singh.madhusudan@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need help setting up qmail / binc imap on FreeBSD

Hi

 I am trying to implement a qmail based mailserver with binc imap on FreeBSD
5.3-RELEASE using the instructions found on :

http://www.bsdguides.org/guides/freebsd/mailserver/qmail+vpopmail+qmailadmin.php

 I am using packet filter (pf) to setup the firewall. I have added the
following rules to permit incoming traffic on ports 993 (imaps) and 465
(smtps) :

pass in on $ext_if proto tcp from any to $ext_if \
 port 993 flags S/SA keep state \
 (max 15, source-track rule, max-src-nodes 100, max-src-states 3)
pass in on $ext_if proto tcp from any to $ext_if \
 port 465 flags S/SA keep state \
 (max 15, source-track rule, max-src-nodes 100, max-src-states 3)

 However, when I try to connect to the server using openssl :

/usr/local/ssl/bin/openssl s_client -connect <servername>:993 -crlf
connect: Connection refused
connect:errno=29

 I have generated a .pem file for SSL over binc imap and made the suggested
additions to /usr/local/etc/bincimap/bincimap.conf.

 Upon consulting /var/log/qmail/current, I see a slew of messages like :

 @400000004233d471384eecb4 delivery 2: deferral:
Unable_to_chdir_to_maildir._(#4.2.1)/
@400000004233d4713850679c status: local 0/10 remote 0/20

sockstat reveals that ports 143, 110 and 25 are being listened to (but are
closed in the firewall). I wish to make qmail + binc to listen to 993 and
465 instead.

 Any hints on fixing the setup would be welcome.

Thanks.