Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 1996 23:27:31 +0200
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1R works fine... 2.1-stable doesn't :-(

On Apr 30, 21:33, BSD Mailinglisten-User wrote:
} Subject: 2.1R works fine... 2.1-stable doesn't :-(
} Hi!
}
} I got a new machine today, a HP Netserver 5/133. It has a PCI/EISA
} motherboard and a onboard AIC 7770 controller. I installed 2.1R using a
} boot floppy and the CD without any problems. After installation I sup'ed
} stable and did a "make world", again without problems.
}
} After that I tried to build a new kernel... took the GENERIC config file
} and removed all unused lines. The newly build kernel didn't boot... it
} couldn't mount root. Obviously, the probe for the ahc - device didn't
} find the chip. I booted the old kernel.GENERIC and made a new (stable)
} GENERIC... which failed to work, too.

Please send VERBOSE boot messages.
I need to know the values printed
in all lines containing "pci" ...

} I don't like the idea to remove the stable src-tree and replace it with
} the old one from the CD, but I don't want to run a production system with
} all this junk in the kernel...

This may have been caused by a
change in the PCI probe code (the
probe FOR the PCI bus, not the
scan for devices on it). If this
is the case, I'll suggest a patch
for you to try. But I need the
verbose boot messages first ...

Gruss, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160