Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 14:55:04 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SPAM filtering  [Was: Re: Security Check output mailing?]

--2B/JsCI69OhZNC5r

On 11/10/01 11:33 AM, Pat Lashley sat at the `puter and typed:
> --On Saturday, November 10, 2001 02:22:00 PM -0500 Louis LeBlanc=20
> <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org> wrote:
>=20
> > Thanks.  I  found  out  why  it   went  missing  -  it  gets  sent  to
> > undisclosed-recipients. And is probably the only such email I want, so
> > I set up a spam filter in procmail to filter out such stuff.
>=20
> A few mailing lists will also show up this way.
>=20
> I've found that automatically recognizing SPAM can be quite difficult.
> It is much easier to recognize the mail that I do want and to filter
> it into separate mailboxes.  (One of the big advantages of IMAP over
> POP.)  Then when I read my mail I glance over the from/subject listing
> in the mailbox window to see if my filters missed anything; and delete
> the rest without downloading the bodies.  (This also gives me a chance
> to see if any of the unwanted mail looks like something I'd like to
> report to the proper authorities.)

Yes,  I  actually tried  Junkfilter  just  a  while ago,  but  quickly
abandoned it  when I  realized that  even on  the loosest  settings it
caught EVERYTHING from the FreeBSD  list! Not acceptable. I could just
whitelist  freebsd-questions,  but  as  you  know,  it  isn't  exactly
spamproof  itself.  I  don't  understand  why it's  so  darn  hard  to
recognize,  they  seem  to work  so  hard  getting  it  to you  in  an
untraceable  manner that  half  the  time you  couldn't  buy the  crap
they're trying to sell even if you wanted to.

A couple  days ago, I got  some spam offlist at  my +freebsd (delivers
directly to  my imap freebsd  folder) address with unsubscribe  info -
had I  followed it, I would  have unsubbed from the  mailing list! How
low  is that?  Anyway,  I'm  getting more  and  more  crap every  day,
particularly the adult  kind. Man, if I  were to get this  stuff in my
snailmailbox,  someone'd go  straight  to jail!  My  daughter will  be
reading before long, then comes email. Do I want her seeing this crap?
Not hardly.

Anyway, I've  started trying to  be as aggressive as  possible without
losing my *real* mail,  and this is just one of  the hangups along the
way. Good thing I  decided to drop it into a  spam mailbox rather than
toss it. I've  also gotten some really  good logistics reccomendations
that I  just need to organize.  I'll probably have to  spend some time
focusing on  just this for  a while, but  that would mean  putting off
some of  the other projects  I want to  jump into. I'll  probably just
wind up cleaning  it up a little  for now then working on  some of the
fun stuff.

Thanks
Lou
--=20
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     =D4=BF=D4=AC

transfer, n.:
  A promotion you receive on the condition that you leave town.

--2B/JsCI69OhZNC5r

--2B/JsCI69OhZNC5r--