Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2019 08:36:52 -0600
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [devel/arduino18] Adding a new board description.

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 4:37 AM Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to use devel/arduino18 with a non-standard board - which
> requires installing a new board description.  According to the board
> documentation, the process is to enter the URL for the new board
> description in the Preferences, then go to Tools -> Board -> Boards
> Manager to actually install the definitions.  My difficulty is that
> the above option doesn't exist because the patches included with ports
> r438914 delete all the relevant code.
>
> I haven't found any discussion as to why the boards manager was removed
> or what the alternatives are for installing new board descriptions.
>
> Can anyone advise the process for adding new board descriptions?

(a CC is appreciated; most posts to this list get filtered locally otherwise...)

I'll find some time this week to see what I can do to bring the board
manager back. It was removed when I initially ported Arduino 1.6.x
because there was some conflict in the functionality itself with how
we patch other bits, but I'm foggy on the details at this point
because that's been a couple years.