Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 2008 20:15:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rick Hunnicutt <rk_hunnicutt@yahoo.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>, freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New driver writer

----- Original Message ----
From: John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>

> On Tuesday 08 April 2008 03:29:07 pm Rick Hunnicutt wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >

>> I'm writing a BSD PCI character driver and have many questions. I have the
architecture handbook and it answers some questions but leaves much
unaddressed. For example, the parameters on the open/close/read/write calls
don't seems to be address. Am I expected to dig around the code base to
decipher their purpose or have I missed a vital area of documentation?

>> Thank you for your help.

> Yeah, you'll have to dig for now. :( The way you normally do cdev's though is
> something like this:

Thanks John. I'm mucking my way around pretty well now.  I noticed the drivers in the kernel directory have symbol files. When I build my driver, it is striped and no symbol file is gerneated. Is ther a trick to do this?

Also, kgdb in the the 7.0 release doesn't seem to support add-kld... Is there an easy way to upgrade this?

Thanks!
Rick