Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 20:33:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Wayne Lubin <wayneclubin@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   updating 4.2 release to 4.3 release

The documentation seems a bit confusing on this.
Chapter 20 talks about how to update to either the
current or stable versions. It also states that
neither is as stable as the release version. So, if
all I am interested in is upgrading to 4.3, and not so
much interested in the less stable up to date
versions, then shouldn't I be upgrading from my 4.2
release to 4.3 release? If so, then is the only way to
do this to simply install 4.3 from scratch and thus
erase all of my present config files and installed
ports etc...? Chapter 20 does mention briefly that to
go from release version to release version then one
should "use the binary update mechanism". What is the
binary mechanism and where is some documentation on
it.

A bit confused but ok :)

Wayne