Date:      Sun, 5 Nov 2000 15:58:18 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@Freebsd.org>
To:        chat@Freebsd.org
Subject:   Microsoft Source (fwd)

--ikeVEW9yuYc//A+q

----- Forwarded message from Dan Browning <danb@cyclonecomputers.com> -----

Microsoft Announces Surprise Cooperative Agreement

In a surprise press conference made this Friday evening Microsoft CEO
Steve Ballmer announced that Microsoft will be releasing the source
code for the upcoming Windows operating system dubbed Whistler.

"We have already begun work on the project, and have for the past
three months collaborated with a small company of enterprising young
programmers from Russia," said Ballmer in an impromptu press
conference. Ballmer appeared visibly shaken throughout the press
conference, and several times made references to how "skillful the
Russian programmers were", and how Microsoft "[didn't] want to do
anything to threaten [their] relationship with them."

"We at Microsoft are confident that by allowing peer review of the
already best-selling Windows operating system and Office suite we will
be able to offer our customers a more polished product," continued
Ballmer. "By allowing the Open Source community [or "hackers"] access
to the Windows source code, we will be able to ensure that the
operating system ships with even better security than that which you
have already come to expect from Microsoft."

In what is perhaps a policy-changing move, Microsoft has worked with
the Russian programmers to remove bugs and fix security problems
before releasing the code for scrutiny to the Open Source community.
It is yet unknown whether this change in policy will include release
of source code for previous versions of Microsoft products, or whether
this will have any bearing on the Justice Department decision to split
Microsoft into two separate companies.

Posted on Fri 27 Oct 11:50:00 2000 PDT
Written by Eugene <eugene_v@yahoo.com>

---