Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 20:16:09 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely5.cicely.de>
To:        "Person, Roderick" <personrp@ccbh.com>
Cc:        "''freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG' '" <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: this isn't fun any more....

On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 01:36:36PM -0500, Person, Roderick wrote:
>  ok,
>
> i've recompiled the kernel. com 2 is now accessiable through the serial
> port, but still my external modem gets no dial tone. The modem works, i used
> it on my wife's pentium pro this morning. the phone line is good, i have a
> laptop connect to it now to write this email.
>
> I'm using 4.1 release on a noname axppci.
>
> the only error I recieve are:
>      ppp[189]: tun0: Warning: Chat script failed
> dmesg | grep 'sio'
>
> tells me that
> sio0 configured irq4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
>
> Is that a problem.
>
> Also, does sound work in the alpha kernel, i used device pcm as in i386
> kernel but the makedevs fail. It seems to me that all the documentation is
> i386 based...is there somewhere i can go to find alpha specific info.

If a terminal programm (cu and tip are in the base system) receives
the echo from the modem the comunication to the modem works.
With your description of the problem no one can say if the comunication
to the modem failed or your chat script is wrong or your modem
isn't plugged in or maybe your phone provider failt or ...

Please use a terminalprogram and try the seriel connection to the modem
first before trying any complex things like starting chat scripts.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de