Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 2009 23:23:38 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        chuckr@telenix.org
Cc:        gballet@gmail.com, tinguely@casselton.net, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, ticso@cicely.de
Subject:   Re: Pandora

In message: <49E51C48.1020503@telenix.org>
            Chuck Robey <chuckr@telenix.org> writes:
:
: Mark Tinguely wrote:
: > The new Gumstix uses the Cortex OMAP processor as well.
: >
: > I sent Oliver a link to the start of the ARMv6 UP/SMP cpu_throw/cpu_switch
: > and atomic code that is backward compatible and tested on pre-ARMv6;
: > obviously not yet on ARMv6.
: >
: > In ARMv6 mode, the caches are not flushed on context change. ARMv6 UP
: > and SMP have different caches: SMP does not use the pmap_fix_cache and
: > the multiple KVA patch, and the ARMv6 UP and ARMv5 use a different
: > definition of page sharing (ARMv6 uses page coloring), therefore the flushing
: > circumstances change.
: >
: > In the patch that I sent to him, there are still some flushes to be removed
: > from pmap.c. We will see; maybe ARMv5, ARMv6 UP and SMP should use a
: > different pmap.c file.
:
: I guess when I wrote that last email, I had in mind that I was just writing a
: set of crosstools.  I wasn't thinking about really doing FreeBSD for Pandora,
: and I haven't got any excuse whatever for ignoring that great idea.

cool!

: Look, I haven't got any experience in porting FreeBSD, so I'm probably going to
: reel out a list of idiot questions.  Too Bad about that.

Yea, well, life is imperfect, but lifting oneself out of ignorance and
striving for perfection, in the ARM relm, is on charter for this list.

: In beginning
: FreeArmBSD, am I right that the first thing you need is a good ... hold that
: thought, first real question is, this list, is this the place we use to discuss
: all this?

Yes.

: If it's OK, then I was thinking that the first thing we need is a
: good set of crosstools.  To do the crosstools, we need to have a
: central place that we can put things, a public place so that folks
: can EASILY reference it, so that we list the parameters of the
: crosstools, so that we are all of us using the same kind of
: crosstools.

Right now, such tools exist in the tree. :-)  Well, as long as you
don't use the new features in ARMv6...

: Am I right on this?  I'm willling to start from scratch on this, the
: first binutils and gcc I've compiled is binutils-2.19 and gcc-4.3.1.
: I've come to the decision that the version of gcc I chose was
: probably wrong, I should have chosen 4.3.3 instead.  I used the
: software description of arm-linux-gnueabi.  If that is the triplet
: you'll agree on, then I'm going to rebuild it.  If I don't have any
: other big problems with it, I'm going to see if I can get permission
: to put web pages up on freebsd.org, so we can have central agreement
: on the software definition, and the versions of the tools we should
: rely on.  Do you think I ought to post of a copy of my tools, or
: expect everyone to build their own?

Why not make this a port?  All the other cross build tools are ports.
*linux* anything likely is the wrong triple because we're freebsd.
There's likely to be a bunch of little things that are different.
There may even be most of the port already done.

Some minor tooling refinement on the kernel build side would help
too.  I have some hacks in this area.  Let me see if I can find some
time to toss them together.

: I'm going after permission to create a web page.  I have no web
: tools here, and damn near zero experience doing web pages.  I'll
: volunteer to do it, but if anyone else wants to volunteer the work,
: you'd probably end up with a better job being done.  Until someone
: else volunteers, I'll assume you want me to do it (however badly)
: but the first person who tells me how bad I'm doing it, I'm going to
: assume that person wants to volunteer themselves (I'll allow
: friendly criticism, because I really am lousy at web stuff, and
: could use a few helpful hints).

Is there some reason that the FreeBSD wiki wouldn't serve your needs?

: OK, waiting for comments how (I have more questions, but I'm waiting).

Bring it...

Warner

: >
: > --Mark Tinguely