Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 17:58:51 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        ian j hart <ianjhart@freeloader.freeserve.co.uk>
Cc:        Eliezer Rodriguez Gonzalez <elie@uncle.cult.cu>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:

ian j hart wrote:

> [...]

Hi Ian,

I never had any problems upgrading. I really don't run edge technology
(leading or trailing). I chose hardware based on hardware
compatability lists and not the specifications. It doesn't do any good
to get the latest gee-whiz when it doesn't work on all of the systems
that you use. My main justification for 2.2.8 was access to a unix
system for a series of FORTRAN programs that I was interested in. It
was also a learning eperience. I was retired and I needed a new
challeng. I just didn't realize what a project it would turn into. It
used a NT server that was running NAT for out side access. It worked
just fine and I don't fix things that aren't broken. I still use NT
for e-mail because I sort on subject before I ever do a reply. You
won't see me be part of a bunch of replies unless we all hit the
majordomo at the same time. At some point I needed something and NT
didn't have it and so NT isn't my NAT gateway any more.

The installation of 2.2.8 was really simple because I really only
added X and networking. I was introduced to FreeBSD just before 3.0
was released. I never installed 3.0 because of the problems and many
recommendations that you don't install it. When the CD's for 3.1
arrived, I spent two weeks following -questions before I opened the
box the 3.1 CDROM's were shipped in and then I did an upgrade from a
floppy boot. It was totaly successful on the first try. Shortly after
that my main HD died and I replaced it with a 13GB Western Digital.
The novice install of everything went faster than the upgrade did and
worked out of the box. I had to add a few things to my aliases and
change the way X came up. After a couple of weeks, I cvsup'ed to
3.1-Stable and have been following the stable branch ever since. The
only time the system has been quirky was during the transition to
3.2-Release and then I learned the value of MergeMaster. Just before
the switch, I had gone from a SuperMicro MB with a P166 to an Asus
P2B-B with a Cleron 433. Life was much better because nothing required
forever to accomplish. Unfortunately, things were being introduced,
broken and fixed faster than I could upgrade my system. When I started
using MergeMaster, a system upgrade was something you did in an hour.
A buildworld runs around 2100u. That leaves 25 minutes to run
MergeMaster and have an hour upgrade. Without MergeMaster the upgrades
were taking hours. X was especially quirky for a couple of weeks. It
was like they changed a table and something was upgraded and then
everything was in sync and problem free.

The system was for a special purpose and wasn't supporting a number of
customers. When you have many customers on a box, you spend the time
to do the upgrade. Reinstalling the user base really isn't an option.

BTW, I have Netscape on all of my systems and it actually boots on the
Celeron faster than on NT. I have many more plug-ins on NT and they
add significantly to the startup time.

Some time soon, I will change the window manger and see what is really
out there. XDM, or what ever the default is, is really a command line
version that supports x-apps and there are lots of choices out there
to play with :).

Cheers,

Kent

> So as not to be all doom and gloom, I can say I've learnt a great deal. Also
> I would recommend to you cvsupit and mergemaster. All praise to the coders.
>
> ian
>
> e-mail: ianjhart@freeloader.freeserve.co.uk

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA