Date:      Sun, 20 Jul 1997 21:24:33 -0500
From:      Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.uit.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.Org
Subject:   worm problems

I just discovered a problem with my JVC CD-R.  I used to have a perl script I
used to play music on the drive which used the `scsi' call to control the
drive.  I haven't used it in a while since I also placed a ATAPI 6x drive into
the machine, so I don't know when this started, but....
Anytime I try to access the CD-R, the machine locks up.  No panic or anything,
just gone.  I haven't put DDB in yet, because I have never used it so it might
be less than useful to me.  I also cannot mount a CD-ROM using the CD9660 file
system type, I get the same lockup.  The hardware is as follows:

	100MHz Pentium ACER ACROS
	2MB Diamond Stealth 2001 Video
	40MB Ram
	2-2.1GB Maxtor Hard drives as wd0, wd1		IRQ 14
	ATAPI CD-ROM on second IDE.			IRQ 15
	Adaptec 2940					IRQ 11
		1.08G Quantum Fireball
		Mustek 12000SP
	PS/2 Mouse					IRQ 12
	Adaptec 152?					IRQ 9
		JVC CD-R
	SMC8013E					IRQ 10
	Sound Blaster					IRQ 5
	Bravado 1000 Digitizer				IRQ 7

The CD-R is recognized and configured as worm0 when the system boots. I have
pulled all of the cards out that I didn't need.  Tried to put the CD-R on the
AHA-2940.   Pulled out the ATAPI CD-ROM.  Tried a different video card.
Reduced my RAM to 16MB.

Nothing has worked, so I have to assume the problem is in the kernel since the
drive works perfectly from DOS, Windows-95, and Windows-NT, including
creating CD's.

	Any ideas, or information on how to use DDB would be greatly
appreciated.

	brian