Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 1998 09:00:10 +1000 (EST)
From:      Q <q@fan.net.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Unusual kernel panic??

I haven't experimented with this incident yet, so I am not sure of the
exact circumstances that cause it. I have done the following on my
3.0-RELEASE machine twice now and both times it crashed. I meant to
try and find the cause last night but forgot.

#mount -t msdos /dev/da1s1 /dos/modrive/
                                     ^^-- Trailing slash.

System will lockup and reboot. I was in X both times so didn't get to see
the console messages.

Both times I immediately did it again after the system rebooted, this time
without the slash and it worked fine. When I get home I will try it again
to see if this is actually the cause.

Anyone want to try it and see if it happens to them? The media in the
Fujitsu DynaMO 230 drive hadn't been access since the system was booted,
and hadn't been recently inserted. The volume was a FAT16 dos.

No entry for /dev/da1s1 was in fstab

Just something to play around with if you feel so inclined. I will try it
myself tonight and see what I can find.

Seeya...Q

                          _____  /      Quinton Dolan - q@fan.net.au
  __  __/  /   /   __/   /      /          Systems Administrator
     /    __  /   _/    /      /            Fast Access Network
  __/  __/ __/ ____/   /   -  /          Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
                    _______  /              Ph: +61 7 5574 1050
                           \_\                 SAGE-AU Member