Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 1998 18:04:45 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weird syscons errors

> Hi!
>
> After having built the world and kernel from something like midnight
> yesterday (CET) I have this weird problem that I didn't have with a kernel
> from late december. Anyone else seen this? I have noticed syscons changes
> lately, and I'm wondering if they screwed anything up.
>
> What happens is that after the probe messages have come up, I get no more
> output. The computer continues to boot to full multiuser mode, and I can
> log in, but I have to do it "blindly". There seems to be no way to the
> console into displaying anything except those frozen boot messages.
> If I log in and and vidconrol "VGA_80x50", for example, the mode _does_
> change, but the text doesn't. And I can switch vtys, but without any real
> significant change. Only way I could tell that switching vtys worked was
> because I had one vty in VGA_80x50 mode. If I start X11, it will switch
> to graphic mode just fine, and run in X11. Then when I exit X11, I get
> the same crap again.
>
> So... What's wrong? Anyone else seen this?

You're not alone.

The thing that hurts me most is that I did a few kernel installs
today, and now cvsup doesn't work (gasp).

However, my gateway machine is still -stable (bought specifically for
this sort of eventuality - phew).  I can connect and grab mail and
stuff still :-)

As far as fixing it..... dunno, I don't really pay attention to
syscons commits (but there were a few in the last day or so).  My
bets are on the dead-key support :-)

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;