Date:      Sat, 01 Apr 1995 04:53:54 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        kristyn@gnu.ai.mit.edu
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: Snapshots? How to use?

In message <9504010331.AA01097@spiff.gnu.ai.mit.edu>, kristyn@gnu.ai.mit.edu writes:
>  I'm trying to decide whether or not to upgrade to 2.0 from 1.1.5.1 and I'm
>not sure how to use the snapshots.  Do I have to get the 2.0 release first,
>then overlay it with a snapshot?  Or do I just get a snapshot and install from
>scratch?  And then what do I do when the next snapshot comes out?
>Just overlay?

The snapshots serve several purposes. They test new kernel/user land code
for weaknesses, and they also test the installation system. As such, they
are full releases in their own right (apart from the version numbering).
You don't install a snap over 2.0-RELEASE, you install the snap.

And the obly way (that I know of) to stay with -current is to compile the
source code I'm afraid. Delta's aren't produced for SNAP releases...

Also, if you are willing to hold on a month or two more, I'd go for 2.1
actually. It'll be a lot nicer to set up, and should have some outstanding
nits fixed.

Gary