Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2007 18:32:43 +0100 (CET)
From:      Christopher Arnold <chris@arnold.se>
To:        Byung-Hee HWANG <bh@izb.knu.ac.kr>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Correct way to enable ipv6 and sixxs-aiccu?

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 15:49 +0100, Christopher Arnold wrote:
>> While brushing up my ipv6 knowledge i ran into an issue with sixxs-aiccu
>> and configuring ipv6 in rc.conf:
>>
>> I have manually configured my gateway to route ipv6 to my internal
>> network, and this works without problems.
>> But as soon as i have ipv6_gateway_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf rtadvd
>> doesn't set an ipv6 address on my vr0 interface. (Btw. the only interface
>> i have on the machine.)
>
> Well, we don't know how to you configure your IPv6 router in manual. So
> you'd better show us the information like your manual scripts if you
> want to give more correct advices ;;

Ok to be totally clear:
# more /etc/rtadvd.conf
vr0:\
:addr="2001:16d8:ff50::":prefixlen#64:

Dosn't Work:
/etc/rc.conf:		ipv6_gateway_enable="YES"
After boot i execute "rtadvd vr0" as root.

Works:
/etc/rc.conf:		ipv6_gateway_enable="NO"
/etc/syscontrol:	net.inet6.ip6.forwarding=1

After boot i execute "rtadvd vr0" as root.

The difference i belive is the setting of net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv=0 in
/etc/rc.d/network_ipv6 .

>> After digging around a bit i noticed that /etc/rc.d/network_ipv6 sets
>> net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv=0 and if i manually set
>> net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv=1 and then restart rtadvd things work and i get
>> an address on my interface.
>
>> Since i guess dissabling accept_rtadv is done for a reason i wonder what
>> is the correct way to setup ipv6 in /etc/rc.conf is?
>
> Do you have native IPv6 addresses? If you do, i am proud of you. Anyway
> you need to have a look IPv6 section of FreeBSD Handbook, rtadvd(8) and
> rtadvd.conf(5). It will give you help. And you need to study IPv6 stuff
> because it is not as easy as it seems, AFAIK. I mean you can solve your
> matters if you study more.

Im trying as we speak, just wanted some input on how things are supposed
to work.

Im running /usr/ports/net/sixxs-aiccu to bring up the tunnel and my
adresses are assigned from them. www.sixxs.net for more information.

The tunnel works all the time (on the tun0 interface) so there isn't a
problem with my ipv6 connectivity. So i guess my question is: "Why is
net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv=0 in /etc/rc.d/network_ipv6 and how am i
supposed to configure ipv6 in /etc/rc.conf?"

PS: sixxs-aiccu is run from /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ so the reason things
doesn't work could be related to the fact that my tunnel goes live late in
the boot.

 	/Chris

--
http://www.arnold.se/