Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 1995 16:39:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      bmk@dtr.com
To:        nate@trout.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        jeffa@sybase.com, mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Annex router

> > > The problem I have is the carrier keeps dropping once per day, and if lucky
> > > it will stay up to 2 days, and that's about it. My questions are :
> >
> > Well, as much as I'd love to say you can do *MUCH* better, in the states
> > I find that two days would be very good indeed.

> I guess my provider is better than average then.  After the initial
> first 2 weeks of hassles getting my second line working as a full-time
> SLIP/PPP link, I've had uptimes of 2 weeks w/out a line drop.

Same here.  Sometimes I only get 1-3 days - sometimes it'll drop three
or four times in a half hour.   Usually, I'll get a week or so in
between drops.

> Granted, my line was guaranteed to be wired (most of the newer lines are
> radio), and I live in a small-ish town (< 50K folks).

I live in an older neighborhood in a medium-sized (.5 million) city.
We've got pretty old copper - but it seems to work well.

...but we're straying from the topic of FreeBSD, aren't we? :)