Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 13:17:55 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP!: config changes...

Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

> This thread is long, so maybe I missed something.. Can we have the *.hints
> file loadable as a module of some special type (like kernel.conf), and
> searched for during configuration like userconfig did?

Funny you got no reply.

This is not necessary. If you copy said file to /boot/device.hints, it
will be read automatically as a loader .conf file and set environment
variables that will be read automatically by the kernel.

If you wish to use alternate configurations without tweaking
device.hints, you can do

loader_conf_files="xyzzy"

And xyzzy will be read. Since device.hints is read right after
/boot/defaults/loader.conf, anything later will override it's values.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

		Windows works, for sufficently small values of "works".