Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 2002 18:59:11 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <alfred@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet1.pcnet.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, deischen@FreeBSD.org, Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Subject:   Re: sem_init help?

* Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet1.pcnet.com> [020918 18:40] wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>

> > Ok, any of you guys have a copy of the standards documents that
> > describe the sem_* API?
> >
> > I have a question...
> >
> > What are the semantics of the sem_init when pshared is set to true?
> >
> > Like, if the process that created the semaphore exits, then what?
> > Is it only valid for the life of the process that did the sem_init?
> > Or am I going to have to do some nastyness to record the memory
> > location where the semaphore is and track that page's allocation?
>
> My take on the spec is that as long as the semaphore can be
> accessed by other processes, then it remains perfectly valid
> regardless of whether the originating process exited or not.
>
> Here's a sem_init() blurb from Austin Draft 6:
>
>   "If the pshared argument has a non-zero value, then the
>    semaphore is shared between processes; in this case, any
>    process that can access the semaphore sem can use sem for
>    performing sem_wait(), sem_trywait(), sem_post(), and
>    sem_destroy() operations."
>
> The sem_close() and sem_unlink() man pages make it even clearer
> that it has to remain around.

Wait, see, you're confusing named and un-named semaphores.

I've got the named ones all set, it's the un-named ones I'm having
trouble with.

The only valid operations on un-named semaphores are:

sem_init - to create it
sem_wait/sem_trywait - to wait on it
sem_destroy - to destroy it

now here's the problem, one can basically stick a sem_t into a shared
memory location, then one can share it amongst processes (provided
pshared was set).  However there's no requirement that these other
processes do any form of "open" on the sem_t, hence I really have no
way of tracking its usage other than by:

a) auto-terminating it when the process that did sem_init exits.
b) tracking the page where the actual sem_t was created until either
   it is reclaimed via sem_destroy or the page is free'd back to the
   OS.

Unless I'm missing something here.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]