Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 1996 07:55:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        "Lenzi, Sergio" <lenzi@cwbone.bsi.com.br>
Cc:        David Monrose <monrose@caribnet.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux

On Mon, 18 Mar 1996, Lenzi, Sergio wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Mar 1996, Eric J. Schwertfeger wrote:
>

> > On Sun, 17 Mar 1996, David Monrose wrote:
> >
> > > Does linux comes with a WEB server?
> >

> I think that do not. (I'm a BSD user).
> Please take a look at the FreeBSD release 2.1 from ftp.freebsd.org or
> Walnut Creek CDrom http://www.freebsd.org.
> The system cames complete with more then 300 applications ready to run
> among them an Web server (apache).

Are you saying I'm wrong, or that running a web server on a linux box
isn't the best idea? :-)

While I'll agree that FreeBSD makes a better web server, most up-to-date
linux distributions come with a web server, and as I stated, RedHat 2.0
and later comes with apache.  I know this from experience.  I'm currently
running Redhat 2.0 at home, (and on the firewall at work, for
masquerading), but I use FreeBSD 2.1 on the web server at work and on my
development machine at work.  I'll probably switch my home machine over
as soon as I replace a dead drive.  However, the only reason I'm doing
this is because Linux ppp has a quirk on my system where all of a sudden
it will start loosing packets.  Everything thinks it's working, but the
network link is dead.

The only reason I originally went with Linux in the first place is
because way back then, Linux had unified memory pool and dynamic shared
libraries, and BSD didn't (I don't think there was a FreeBSD yet).

Both OS's have their place.