Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 14:51:13 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Tom Crowley <tdc@vbc.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RAID CRC errors?

Hello

        I've been stuck for days on a problem with a SCSI array.

The drives we're using are 8  IBM Ultrastars model DPSS-318350, the cards
are (I think reasonably old) Adaptec 29160's (two of them)

The drives are connected to the main chassis from a separate drive array
via two external SCSI cables. The drives are enclosed by removable
caddies, four drives to each SCSI cable (of which there are two).

I've switched all of the drives off, except one (SCSI id 0) which I have
swapped from card to card.  I have swapped every component to
check for faulty hardware.

However, when I get to the actual installation (past configuring
everything,
just as it starts writing to the hard drive), it panics with a crc error.
The exact error (seen by pressing Alt+F2) is:

------------------------------------
        CRC Value Mismatch
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0) parity error detected in Data-in phase.  SEQADDR(0x19f)
SCSIRATE(0xc2)
------------------------------------

This is repeated several times, then:

-------------------------------------
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): . CDB: 8 0 0 0 1 0
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0): ABORTED COMMAND asc:48,0
(da0:ahc0:0:0:0):
da0: reading primary partition table: error reading table fsbn0
DEBUG: Add mapping for /dev/cuaa0 to sl0
DEBUG: Add mapping for /dev/cuaa1 to sl0
(da1:ahc0:0:1:0): . CDB: a 0 0 0 1 0
(da1:ahc0:0:1:0): ABORTED COMMAND asc:47,0
(da1:ahc0:0:1:0):
Sysinstall: write: Input/output error
init died(signal 0, exit 1)
-------------------------------------

(I should point out, that this was with all 8 drives attatched, but it's
pretty much the same with one drive)

Does anyone know what this means, and better yet, how to fix it?

If I can provide any more information, please let me know!

Thankyou, Tom.

==
Tom Crowley
VBCnet GB Ltd