Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 09:34:19 -0500
From:      Antoine Beaupre <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
To:        swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
Cc:        freebsd-libh@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: libh learning curve, etc.

Le Vendredi 5 avril 2002, =E0 12:20 , Gary W. Swearingen a =E9crit :

> Your project seems very important and I thought I'd investigate to see
> if I wanted to try to help out.

Welcome to the crowd of bystanders. :)

> But ya'll sure haven't done much to encourage people to help.  (And if
> you do want to discourage people, you ought to be up front about it so
> people don't waste time finding out the hard way.)

If you ever worked on a already-started project, you would know that=20
it's much harder to document and promote code that's already written.

> I say that for these reasons, mostly having to do with the web page at
> http://www.freebsd.org/projects/libh.html:
>
> -- There are no requirements, specifications, or design documents, =
etc,
> other than the old JKH memo, so one expects to have to Read the =
Source,
> but nowhere does it say how to find it short of CVS which I (and many
> others) don't know how to run beyond cvsupping the main repo.

The port should make use of CVS a bit easier, but see below.

I think it might be a good idea to put a tarball of a port snapshot on=20=

the website thought.

Alex, Jordan, comments?

> -- The port doesn't work (maybe because my ports are a month old).  I
> see that this password problem was reported a couple of weeks ago.

I'm sorry about that. The port's been broken for a while. There's been=20=

CVS repo-damage done that inhibited any cvs checkout of the=20
release/console directory. This has been fixed.

I've been having problems making a full libh build yesterday because of=20=

header file problems in tvision.

I'll take a look at it this weekend or next week.

In the mean time, you should be able to build the source and build libh=20=

without TVision.

> -- The CVSWEB tool at freebsd.org has only a few, uninteresting libh
> files.

That's because libh is not part of the main freebsd CVS repository.

> -- The mailing list archives are mostly mind-numbing commit messages.

*That's* not constructive.

> You probably ought to look at some other Project home pages and borrow
> a few ideas.

Yeah, i know. The idea I got from Some Other Project was to:

1- get sponsorship
2- get people to work on libh

The problem with [1] is that noone seems to be interested in sponsoring=20=

a tool so unimportant (!). And the problem with [2] is that we need to=20=

work on documentation and design documents, and to get there, we need=20
[2].

> I'll probably try the port occasionally and take a look, but as
> important as I feel your project is, I can't get very enthusiastic for =
> project which uses QPL/LGPL libraries,

Apart from saying that you won't get any work done on FreeBSD with this=20=

attitude (eg. gcc gdb), I won't get into this.

>  TVision with no apparent license
> (a disclaimer is all I could find), and TCL which few care to
> learn.

Feel free to rewrite libh with a BSD-licensed console and graphical=20
library. As for TCL, "It's Just Another Language".

>  But then I'm a C/C++ beginner so you wouldn't get much out of me
> anyway, beyond some documentation and test reports.

You know, this is exactly what we need. And if you really read the=20
mailing lists archive, you'll see this is not the first time I answer=20
this kind of mail by saying: Read The Source, yes. We need=20
documentation, and the only way to do that is to Read The Source and=20
Test The Code.

>  I'll probably
> stick with the -doc project and my own programming exercises.
>
> I hope you'll take this as constructive critism; it wasn't meant to =
hurt
> feelings, though it probably will.

There was some good criticism, but I'm getting tired of seeing people=20
just pass by the page and say: "Hey, this looks like it needs some help,=20=

let's complain to -libh@!".  Yes the code is under-documented, yes, we=20=

need some solid design documents. Thank you for reminding us.

I hope you'll take this as constructive criticism; it wasn't meant to=20
hurt feelings though it probably will.

Maybe I'm just ranting and I should shut up as I had the same reaction=20=

as you the first time I got interested in libh.

A.