Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 09:50:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tak Pui LOU <lou@man-97-187.ResHall.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Can't recieve nor send email suddenly. Am I being hacked?

I upgraded my sendmail and the whole system to 4.8-RC recently using CVS.
Until yesterday afternoon I recieved a suspicous message, sendmail was
working fine. After that, sendmail was not accepting connections because
there was no root running sendmail to accept connections. I wasn't able to
send out any mail too. I only saw the sendmail queue run as smmsp.

root     129  0.0  1.2  3040 1500  ??  Ss    1:15AM   0:02.98 sendmail:
accepting connections (sendmail)
smmsp    132  0.0  1.1  2920 1444  ??  Is    1:15AM   0:00.05 sendmail:
Queue runner@00:30:00 for /var/spool/clientmqueue (sendmail)

After reboot, I got the above sendmail processes. Was my system hacked by
someone?

---
Lou