Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 97 17:12 GMT
From:      kanani@sri.lanka.net (Computer Science University of Jaffna Sri Lanka)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org

To whom it may concern.

        INSTALLATION FAILURE OF FREEBSD WITH DOS FILE SYSTEM

I have down-loaded all the necessary files(e.g., boot4.flp and /bin
directory such as bin.aa, bin.ab,....) ovre the Internet, the I have
sucessfully made the booting floppy. This floppy sucessfully BOOTS into my
Computer and there isn't any hardware conflict. Finally there is a system
installation menu appears. As it was said in the INSTALLATION.TXT, I have
coppied all the files in floppies (1.44M properly formatted under the DOS
operating system) in bin directory (a:\bin\bin.aa, a:\bin\bin.ab,.....).

I tried to Install the FreeBSD via Novice. During the Installation process I
did every thing properly. I have chosen the MINIMAL Installation option.
With the media selection I have given the Floppy as the media of
Installation. Every thing has gone properly until the Inseratation of the
distribution floppy (a:\bin\bin.aa,....). After the Insetation of the floppy
it tried to read the floppy then gave a message :

"Couldn't extract the following distribution. Since the the selected media
does not contain the distribution you have selected etc..."

Then aborted with the incomplete Installation. After that I have taken a
much pain to Install with the other options(e.g., Installing from the DOS
partion etc.). I wish to point out the fact that I have done every thing
properly in my part(as it was given in the relavent documents such as
INSTALLTION.TXT, HARDWARE.TXT etc)

I shall be thankful if you could report to me immediately about this
problem. Since I am frastated very much with this.

K.S.Selvarajan