Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:35:44 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015036545.8978d2@mired.org>
To:        swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux shell scripts

Gary W. Swearingen <swear@blarg.net> types:
> It's reasonable, if not ideal, to require that "bash" or even "bash2" be
> installed

Having exterminated bash on all my systems, I'd not call that
reasonable, much less ideal. On the other hand, I never learned the
*scripting* features that bash has that might cause one to want to use
it instead of sh. On the gripping hand, anytime a script requires more
than one loop or conditional test, it's time to consider a real
scripting language, like Perl or - ideally :-) - Python.

> but it's not reasonable to require that commands like "sh"
> and "head" support the script identically to the script writer's "sh"
> often linked to "bash", flagging a "portable" mode of "bash") and "head".

Such things should conform to Posix if the script is meant to be
portable. Unfortunately, man and info pages seldom document which
flags are part of posix and which are extensisions, nor do they
document which flags that do what the posix flags do result in output
that doesn't comply with posix.

Which is SOP for Unix systems.

	<mike