Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 23:31:58 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Rex Buddenberg <budden@nps.navy.mil>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can't boot kernel

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 11:58:56AM -0700, Rex Buddenberg wrote:

> I just upgraded a laptop from FreeBSD 4.4 to 4.6 using the Upgrade
> function in sysinstall (ftp option).  The upgrade seemed to go without a
> hitch (except that the ftp session bombed overnight and I had to restart
> it ... which worked).
>
> At conclusion, the message said something like installation successful,
> /etc recovered, time to reboot.
>
> I issued  'shutdown now -r'.  The screen froze partway out of X so I
> killed the volts and turned the machine back on.
>
> I now get:
> can't load 'kernel'
> can't load 'kernel.old'
> no bootable kernel
> ok
>
> which is clearly not OK.
>
> 1.  What happened?

You seem to have mislaid your kernel.  The `ok' prompt is (as I'm sure
you know) from the boot loader.  It's possible the loader has got
confused about where to find the kernel.  Try using some combination
of the `ls' and `lsdev' commands to try and locate a kernel image,
then use the `load' command to set that as the kernel to boot and
finally `boot' to get back to operational mode.  If you can get the
machine back up that way, then you probably need to look at
/boot/loader.conf and work out what needs to be in there to make your
system boot reliably again.

The man page for loader(8) can be found at

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=loader&apropos=0&sektion=8&manpath=FreeBSD+4.6-RELEASE&format=html

if you haven't got a FreeBSD box accessible.

> 2.  How do I fix?

If you really haven't got a kernel on your machine, then you've no
choice but to boot off your installation media. If you interrupt the
ten second countdown and issue the command `boot -s' you should end up
running single user mode off the installation media.  You should then
be able to fsck(8) and mount(8) the root partition of your hard
drive somewhere and copy the kernel from the media onto it. In
extremis, you can try just doing another upgrade or even installing a
new system over the top of your old one --- if you're careful in
sysinstall's disk layout editor to not mark your partitions for
newfs'ing you should be able to preserve many of your files.

Right about now is the point where you thank your lucky stars for the
rigorous backup policy you've been religiously following.

	Good luck.

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK