Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 02:32:33 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bind TSIG exploit

This is what I get for not subscribing to freebsd-security (until
now):

On Feb 7, named dumped core (running bind 8.2.3 beta). I didn't catch it
until recently. While searching the archives, I came across information
on the well-known bind vulnerabilities.

My non-technical armchair analysis of the core dump indicates the
TSIG exploit (based on the presence of ';; TSIG invalid (%s)' at the
top of the core file -- how's that for non-technial?).

Is there any way to analyze the core dump to find out what 'arbitrary
code' may have been executed? I've taken the usual steps to detect
a root compromise, but found nothing obvious. I've upgraded named
to 8.2.3-REL, but I'm guessing I should decommission and rebuild
the server as a precaution...  unless I can be convinced this not
necessary.

There have been a couple of messages in recent days on -questions about
named dumping core, so I suspect this vulnerability is being widely
exploited at present. Congratulations if you patched the hole two or
three weeks ago, you escaped...

-----------------
I don't know if this is interesting or not:

# strings - named.core | head -45

FreeBSD
FreeBSD
833333
FreeBSD
named
named
/home
/home
/var/mail
/dev
/var/spool
/usr/tmp
/tmp
/var/log/lastlog
/var/log/wtmp
/var/log/messages
/dev/random
mtime->tv_usec >= 0 && mtime->tv_usec < 1000000
/usr/src/lib/libbind/../../contrib/bind/lib/dst/prandom.c
/proc/
$Id: res_update.c,v 1.24 1999/10/15 19:49:12 vixie Exp $
res_findzonecut failed (%d)
malloc failed
res_mkupdrec failed
res_mkupdate -> %d