Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 11:25:36 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        lyndon@esys.ca
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Imap4

On 26 Aug, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
>  You mean your IMAP server doesn't implement quotas? Let me give you a URL to
>  our sales page ... And with the push to thin clients and NC, where else are you going to store
>  that mail? Disk is cheap, and the security of having the mail backed up is a big win.
Yes, but if all your users have to keep connecting to your server to
read their old mail its not so good :) (But I don't think thats too
much of a problem, since most people would just get their mail from the
server a la POP3 anyway)

>  I'm not sure how IMSP helps with virtual domains. This belongs a lot closer to
>  the MTA. IMSP isn't really useful until you've drilled down into the context
>  of an authenticated (IMAP) user. As for filtering, SIEVE is getting close to
>  being reality (there are three prototypes running that I'm aware of).
Really? I am curious about this, as Terry has a point in that a lack of
server side filter is kind of annoying. Are there any free
implementations of this stuff?

|Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer for Genesis Software |
|http://www.gsoft.com.au                                            |
|The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to|
|choose from. -- Andrew Tanenbaum                                   |