Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 14:05:34 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0 RELEASE - why inof@clausthal?

Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> I installed 4.0-RELEASE as an upgrade (to a 3.4 system).
>
> Why are the files stamped Mar 22 instead Mar 20 as the release
> is on ftp.freebsd.org and why does the booted
> kernel identify as built by info@clausthal.de (or something)?

Because you bought the distribution created by J.F.Lehmanns, not from
Walnut Creek.

> I'm a bit concerned about security these days.

Mee, too. OTOH, you can always compare the source code on your CDs
against the repository on www.freebsd.org. Anyhow, the Lehmans
distribution works flawlessly here--even aver a CVSup, which should
throw out any backdoor left by a malicious German programmer like me.

HTH
-Christoph Sold