Date:      Mon, 24 Dec 2001 13:13:45 -0500
From:      Pete Fritchman <petef@databits.net>
To:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
Cc:        "."@babolo.ru, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:  These ports are not user:group safe--smlnj-110.0.7, hevea-1.0.5, free-amp, and linux_base-6.1

[ cc: list trimmed ]

++ 24/12/01 12:07 -0600 - Stephen Montgomery-Smith:

| > > Instead of 'root', use ${SHAREOWN}, and instead of 'wheel', use
| > > ${SHAREGRP}.
| > >
| > > Otherwise, I'd say this looks OK.  What do others think?
| > ${SHAREOWN}:${SHAREGRP}
| > ':' instead of '.'
| Is there a possibility that this will be bad for older users of FreeBSD
| (like for example FreeBSD-2.2.8)?

I think chown has always accepted either '.' or ':' as a user/group
delimiter (glancing through CVS logs), but we are trying to switch to
using ':' everywhere as we want to support usernames with periods in
them (ie:  chown john.smith:mygroup file), I think.  Every other port
(hopefully) was modified to use chown user:group instead of chown
user.group too.

-pete

--
Pete Fritchman [petef@(databits.net|freebsd.org|csh.rit.edu)]