Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 15:42:30 -0800
From:      Dave Tweten <tweten@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -STABLE buildkernel broke! (linux module)

My automatic Saturday morning script to rebuild from source failed this past
Saturday morning while trying to build the kernel, as did many others'.  My
possible contribution to a fix is to place bounds upon the time when the bug
was introduced.

I run a completely vanilla sequence of cvs, make world, make kernel (and in
parallel), make documentation.  It is vanilla, that is, except for my custom
kernel config.  It worked the morning of November 3rd.  It didn't work on the
10th.  Except for the actual date, this past weekend's cvsup control file is
typical:

	*default host=cvsup10.FreeBSD.org
	*default base=/usr
	*default prefix=/usr
	*default release=cvs
	*default delete use-rel-suffix
	*default date=2001.11.10.08.00.00
	*default tag=.
	doc-all
	*default tag=RELENG_4
	src-all

The automatic build process sets the date each time it is run.

I haven't installed kernel or world since July 22, meaning that the tools used
for make world and for make kernel were the same before and after the advent
of the bug.  So, it seems reasonable to me that it must have been introduced
into STABLE after 8:00 GMT Saturday, November 3 and before 8:00 GMT Saturday,
November 10.  Since the first e-mail of the complaint tide (an e-mail from
Greg Prosser <greg@straynet.com>) was dated 6:02 GMT Saturday, November 10, my
guess is that the bug was introduced late last week.

Like everyone else's, my process gets through building world and fails while
building kernel in the linux module:

	In file included from linux_sysent.c:14:
	linux_proto.h:57: syntax error before `linux_time_t'
	linux_proto.h:57: `linux_time_t' undeclared here (not in a function)

I'd be happy to provide any additional help I can to anyone interested in
fixing this problem (and who is empowered actually to fix it).
--
M/S 258-5                     | 1024-bit PGP fingerprint: | tweten@nas.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center     |  41 B0 89 0A  8F 94 6C 59 |      (650) 604-4416