Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 1996 10:12:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        tcg@ime.net
Cc:        kline@tera.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: final k-config questions.

According to Gary Chrysler:
> Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> >    The last rev of GENERIC built a kernel without any errors.  (Whether it
> >    would work, dunno.  Probably.)
> >
> >    Here are the remaining signifcant diffs with GENERIC and TAO.
> >
> > <TAO controller bt0     at isa? port "IO_BT0" bio irq ? vector btintr
> > <TAO controller ahc1    at isa? bio irq ? vector ahcintr
> > <TAO controller ahb0    at isa? bio irq ? vector ahbintr
> > <TAO device             mcd1    at isa? port 0x340 bio irq 11 vector mcdintr
> > <TAO device             lpt2    at isa? port? tty
> > <TAO device lnc1 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 drq 0 vector lncintr
> >
> >    The first entry, bt0 is nearly identical to a line in GENERIC.
> >    Only the name/tag of the vector differs: from btintr to bt_isa_intr
> >    or whatever.
> >

> I'm unsure of what you are asking here?
> None of the above listed are REQUIRED unless you have the device!

		I was probably mumbling out loud to the list

> >    lpt2 I'm not overly concerns about either.  Eventually, I plan
> >    to network my old tower to the new one by a parallel cable on
> >    `COM2'... but that's lpt1, yes?
> >

> Nope, Dos-Com2 is sio1.
> 	sio0 = Dos com1 (0x3f8/IRQ4)
> 	sio1 = Dos com2 (0x2f8/IRQ3)
> 	sio2 = Dos com3 (0x3e8/????, No real standard)
> 	sio3 = Dos com4 (0x2e8/????, No real standard)

		Yeah, I meant LPT3 not COM2.

> FreeBSD lpt2 is equal to Dos lpt3
> They are:
> 	lpt0 = 1st printer port, Dos lpt1 (0x3bc/IRQ7)
> 	lpt1 = 2nd printer port, Dos lpt2 (0x378/IRQ5)
> 	lpt2 = 3rd printer port, Dos lpt3 (0x278/????, No real standard)
> I would imagine you only have one physical lpt port, That would be
> lpt0. The rest are *More then likly* not needed!

	There are 2 parallel ports on my system, lpt0 and
	lpt1. I've got my printers on lpt0 and hope to
	use lpt1 for a `laplink' connection between my two
	computers.

> Most of this is in LINT!
>
> >    I'm guessing that for whatever reason, I can forget about the missing
> >    entries in the older configuration file.
> >
> >    [[ ... ]]

	I checked LINT and after I guessed that nothing would blow up
	if I tried to boot from a kernel built with only my sound driver`
	mods, I rebuilt and tried it.  Moved kernel to /kernel and
	rebooted.

	Everything worked.  No explosion; no smoke.

> As taken from LINT!
> 	ahb: Adaptec 174x
> 	ahc: Adaptec 274x/284x/294x
> 	mcd: Mitsumi CD-ROM

	By the time I found that in LINT, I was ~98% sure that
	the system would come back after rebooting.  Then, minutes
	later it did.

	All that remains is to install the newest rev of X, 3.1.2.
	That can wait!

	gary