Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 17:53:13 -0500
From:      Chris Csanady <cc@137.org>
To:        Jake Burkholder <jake@checker.org>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new-bus breaks both sound drivers

>> Hmm, you might like to try this patch and see what happens, there is
>> a missing old driver wrapper for the pcm stuff.  As a result, it's not
>> getting run from the isa probe.  Regarding the other driver, I'm not
>> sure what's going on there as the hooks appear to be present.
>
>Right on, that patch does it for me.
>
>pcm0 at port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15 on isa0
>pcm0: interrupting at irq 5
>
>I've got an old SB16 Value, non-pnp.
>
>mp3s aren't playing quite right with x11amp though, little
>skips here and there, they work fine with the old kernel.
>mpg123 seems fine, as does the sound in FXTV.
>I'll try making the world again.

Was there ever any resolution/further inspection of this?  x11amp behaves
similarly for me.  Actually, under considerable load, it is *really* bad.

Have there been any notable scheduling changes recently?

I remember people were seeing overflows on their serial ports after the
new-bus integration since the driver was no longer using fast interrupts
or something.  Could there be something similar with the pcm driver?

Chris