Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 00:14:48 -0600 (CST)
From:      Daniel Ortmann <ortmann@sparc.isl.net>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   consistent "make -k buildworld" crash with 2 swap partitions

>Submitter-Id:   current-users
>Originator:     Daniel Ortmann
>Category:       kern
>Release:        FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT i386
>Class:          sw-bug
>Environment:

The /etc/fstab which enables the crash is the following.  To fix it
comment out the second swap.  Note they are on separate drives.

# Device        Mountpoint              FStype  Options            Dump    Pass#
/dev/wd1s1b     none                    swap    sw                 0       0
/dev/wd2s1b     none                    swap    sw                 0       0
/dev/wd2s1a     /                       ufs     rw                 1       1
/dev/wd2s1d     /home                   ufs     rw                 2       2
/dev/wd1s1e     /rootbak                ufs     ro                 2       2
/dev/wd0s2a     /rootboot               ufs     ro                 2       2
/dev/wd1s1f     /tmp                    ufs     rw                 2       2
/dev/wd2s1f     /usr                    ufs     rw                 2       2
/dev/wd1s1h     /usr/X11R6              ufs     rw                 2       2
/dev/wd1s1a     /usr/local              ufs     rw                 2       2
/dev/wd2s1g     /usr/obj                ufs     rw                 2       2
/dev/wd2s1h     /usr/ports              ufs     rw                 2       2
/dev/wd1s1d     /usr/ports/distfiles    ufs     rw                 2       2
/dev/wd1s1g     /usr/src                ufs     rw                 2       2
/dev/wd2s1e     /var                    ufs     rw                 2       2
proc            /proc                   procfs  rw                 0       0
kern            /kern                   kernfs  rw                 0       0

My hardware is quite standard.  The kernel config file almost matches
GENERIC.  Here are the options in case you find information here:

options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         INET6                   #IPv6 communications protocols
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         FFS_ROOT                #FFS usable as root device [keep this!]
options         MFS                     #Memory Filesystem
options         MD_ROOT                 #MD is a potential root device
options         NFS                     #Network Filesystem
options         MSDOSFS                 #MSDOS Filesystem
options         CD9660                  #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         CD9660_ROOT             #CD-ROM usable as root, CD9660 required
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
options         COMPAT_43               #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options         UCONSOLE                #Allow users to grab the console
options         USERCONFIG              #boot -c editor
options         VISUAL_USERCONFIG       #visual boot -c editor
options         KTRACE                  #ktrace(1) support
options         SYSVSHM                 #SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 #SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 #SYSV-style semaphores
options         P1003_1B                #Posix P1003_1B real-time extentions
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
options         ICMP_BANDLIM            #Rate limit bad replies
options         AUTO_EOI_1
options         AUTO_EOI_2
options         COMPAT_LINUX
options         CLK_CALIBRATION_LOOP
options         CLK_USE_I8254_CALIBRATION
options         CLK_USE_TSC_CALIBRATION
options         ICMP_BANDLIM
options         IPDIVERT
options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=3
options         KERNFS
options         MD5
options         NO_F00F_HACK
options         PPP_DEFLATE
options         PPP_FILTER
options         SC_DISABLE_REBOOT
options         SOFTUPDATES
options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering

I should also mention that I am running softupdates.

If both swap partitions are enabled then "make -k buildworld" crashes
the system with ABSOLUTE CONSISTENCY.

Since this behavior has been around for about a year (???) I assume my
system configuration must be unusual ... or surely this would have been
discovered and fixed earlier.

Several months ago a bug was found with dual swap partitions.  It
involved some cross-partition alignment problem.  When that bug was
fixed most of my crashes disappeared.  Except for this problem.
But "make -k buildworld" continued to crash the system.

>How-To-Repeat:

1) Edit fstab to use 2 separate swap partitions on 2 separate drives.
2) Run with softupdates.
3) Run "make -k buildworld"

Note 1: I don't know if the second partition *must* be on a different
        drive to cause the crash, only that my system is set up that
        way.

Note 2: I don't know if softupdates has anything to do with this
        problem.

>Fix:

The workaround is to comment out the second swap partition in fstab.