Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 12:11:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
Cc:        Benedikt Stockebrand <bs_13943_34262@adimus.de>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fortran in the base system (was Re: sysinstall)

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, M. L. Dodson wrote:

> Those of you that are still with me should know that my objective
> is only to add FBSD to the list of operating systems known to be
> friendly to number crunchers.

Fine thing.

[various deletions]
> "I can tell you how to avoid buying that $25000 Octane and get the
> same capability on a $4000 PC".
>
> "Great, if I don't have to buy the Octane I can use the money for
> that new probe we've been wanting for the NMR spectrometer!  Tell
> me what to order!"
[more deletions]
> The big guy in the group emails
> me that the analysis system is dog slow after they got it to
> compile, even though my benchmarks say that this machine should
> be equivalent to an R10000 Octane on compute-bound jobs.  I ask
> him if they compiled it with g77, and he emails me back saying
> "What's that?"  I go through all the hooha about the ports
> system.

Why?  That's exactly why packages exist, so folks who don't give a damn
about the process can simply have the software they want, with an
absolute minimum of work.  I don't know your audience like you [give me
feedback here] but it *seems* like you missed a step here.  If all they
had to do was get the port off the cdrom, type pkg_add <packagename>,
and start using it, mightn't they still be around?

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).