Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 2016 11:55:25 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Jean-S=c3=a9bastien_P=c3=a9dron?= <jean-sebastien.pedron@dumbbell.fr>
To:        Tommi Pernila <tommi.pernila@iki.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Guide to contribute to kernel video drivers

--MCjfSjmfXbHkofAx5g4bxEG3moeDa6Ekk

On 22/02/2016 11:32, Tommi Pernila wrote:
>     > Do I right understand that the only way to debug a kernel is to c=
rash
>     > it and then analyze a dump using gdb? Is it possible to attach to=
>     > running kernel remotely?
>=20
>     It's probably possible to debug a live kernel, but I never did this=

>     because I don't have a working serial remote access.
>=20
> Wouldn't this be possible over ssh?

Hi!

This would be the same as connecting to the host with ssh then run kgdb
locally. You need to have a working sshd on the tested host and a
working network stack. Depending on what you do in the kernel, this may
not be the case.

Gdb over serial line works because it's far easier for the kernel to
maintain a working state for a simple serial link than a NIC and
userland applications.

--=20
Jean-S=C3=A9bastien P=C3=A9dron