Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 00:21:37 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        William Richard <wdr@tdl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bizarre shutdown behavior

On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 06:07:38PM -0700, William Richard wrote:
>You can do this programmatically with options in /etc/rc.conf:
>
>ppp_enable="YES"
>ppp_mode="auto"
>ppp_profile="myisp"
>
>will start ppp automagically.  See rc.conf(5) for more /etc/rc.conf wizardry.

Thanks.

I have just noticed another strange thing: telnet now seems to assume
I use the same login name on every Unix system in the world. When I
telnet to my web hosting account, I no longer see the familiar "login:"
prompt. Instead, it asks me for the password. Naturally, after I enter
my valid password, I get a slap in the face for an incorrect login
because telnet has sent out a wrong login ID.

I studied man telnet, and found the -K switch which disables this. But
it will get some getting used to before I type the -K switch every
time. In version 3.1 telnet made no assumptions about my login identity,
and I liked it that way.

Cheers,
Adam
--
When a finger points at the Moon... do you look at the Moon?
Or, do you prefer to worship the finger?