Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 22:09:34 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        Tor.Egge@fast.no
Cc:        karl@mcs.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serious Dump problems

> > I have a dump tape which is intact, yet restore complains about "hole in
> > map" and segv's when attempting to start up in interactive mode.
>
> Philip Inglesant <philip@dircon.net> gave a good description of this
> problem on the -stable list.
>
> You probably had more than 4 million inodes on the file system.  Thus
> the bitmaps uses more than 512 KB(i.e. more than 512 tape blocks).
>
> Running dump/restore using a 51 GB partition (with 13 million inodes
> gave the same problem for me.

This is a very good catch.  I looked at this problem when it was
originally reported several months ago, and it seemed to me that
the only way it could happen were if there actually were a hole
in the map.  The only thing I could conclude was that there was
"something wrong with the data".

> > It appears that dump and restore are VERY old, and nobody is maintaining
> > them.  Interestingly enough, a new dump of the same filesystem produces
> > the same error, so I suspect a problem with dump where it is writing out a
> > bad directory map.
>
> It is not sufficient to only change dump.  The calculation of maxino
> in restore depends upon the current behavior of dump, using a
> value larger than 512 in the c_count field when the number of inodes
> is larger than 4 million.
>
> Only a small change to restore is needed.

Is it sufficient to change restore?

Or is this patch going to result in part of the dumped data
being inaccessable?

Is a change to dump *also* necessary?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org