Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 09:00:05 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        Dave Tweten <tweten@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

On Sun, Aug 06, 2000 at 07:11:30PM -0700, Dave Tweten wrote:
> I own several computer-security related e-mail lists at my NASA site, intended
> to get system administrators the information they need to stay a half-step
> ahead of the barbarians.  I've been trying to set one up specifically for
> administrators of FreeBSD systems.  There is no joy.
>
> I consulted the advice on the FreeBSD web site and in the Handbook, and
> concluded that all I had to do was give the list's address on the subscribe
> command.  I did that, and followed the sequence through to the point, on May
> 31, where Majordomo told me "Your request to Majordomo@FreeBSD.ORG: ... has
> been forwarded to the owner of the "freebsd-security-notifications" list for
> approval."  Then I waited.  No response.  No notifications.
>
> On June 8, I followed Majordomo's advice: "If you have any questions about the
> policy of the list owner, please contact 'freebsd-security-notifications-approv
> al@FreeBSD.ORG'."  I sent e-mail and got no response.
>
> I've since tried the whole process two more times, on June 21, and just today.
>  Today, I also subscribed myself -- which avoids the approval part, and I have
> set my e-mail filter to forward to my list any messages I receive from
> security-notifications.  This will work, but it's inefficient.
>
> Both the web and the Handbook say that subscribing a list to a FreeBSD list is
> a welcome activity.  I don't want to be a pain, but I haven't been able to
> find what I should do next, or whether I should have done something completely
> different in the first place.
>
> What's the right way to do this?  Thanks for any help you can provide.

	Hmm. I have been a FreeBSD porter for several years; in mid-June,
	I unsub's to the porting list and the -stable list---rather than
	be *bounced* off when my home site was silent for 3 weeks.  When
	I got back in early July, I resub's to both lists, and am still
	waiting.  ...Maybe ports has enough help now; but that doesn't
	explain the delay for the -stable list.

	(?)

	gary

--