Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 16:11:56 +0000
From:      Marc Silver <marcs@draenor.org>
To:        Martin Heinen <martin@sumuk.de>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [martin@sumuk.de: Question 6.3 of 'Dialup firewalling with FreeBSD']

Hi there,

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 05:02:35PM +0100, Martin Heinen wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> forgot to CC you in my original posting to -doc :(
> Any comments on my proposal?
>
> Martin
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Martin Heinen <martin@sumuk.de> -----
>
> Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 14:28:30 +0100
> From: Martin Heinen <martin@sumuk.de>
> To: freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Question 6.3 of 'Dialup firewalling with FreeBSD'
>
> The answer to question 6.3 in 'Dialup firewalling with FreeBSD'
> states that it is impossible to filter RFC-1918 addresses on
> the outside interface.  Ok, it states 'The simple answer is no.',
> but the article should provide a long answer.

I don't agree with you.  If this article weren't for novice users then I
would agree that the answer needs to expanded.  However, the purpose of
the document (and the very reason I wrote it) was to create a simple
guide.  I do not feel it is necessary to provide a long answer, since
it's more than likely that more experienced users will not be using this
article.  :)

However,

> Possible solutions:
> 3) We could refer the reader to /etc/rc.firewall but this seems to
>    circumvent the purpose of the article.

I could most certainly add a reference to /etc/rc.firewall from this
document for users who are interested, though I do not feel it's
necessary.

How does everyone else feel?

- Marc

p.s.  Please CC me on any responses, as I'm not subscribed to this
      list..

--
I've learned that being kind is more important than being right.
        -- Andy Rooney