Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2017 12:21:00 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        zaphod@berentweb.com, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Several minor questions (12.0-amd64)

Beeblebrox zaphod at berentweb.com wrote on Sat Apr 22 06:04:01 UTC 2017 =
:

> 3. Under one scenario, I'm getting a kernel panic but I cannot dump =
because
> busybox states "no dumpdev specified" which means rc.conf (where I =
have
> dumpdev set) has not been read yet. How can I pass dumpdev wile in =
busybox
> command line so that ">dump" does its job?

/boot/loader.conf allows for an earlier time frame
for having dumpdev. For example I have:

# more /boot/loader.conf
geom_label_load=3D"YES"           # File system labels (see glabel(8))
kern.cam.boot_delay=3D"10000"
dumpdev=3D"/dev/label/BPIM3swap"

Supporting documentation is from:

=
https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Dloader&sektion=3D8&apropos=3D0=
&manpath=3DFreeBSD+11.0-RELEASE+and+Ports

and includes the following about dumpdev:

LOADER(8)		FreeBSD	System Manager's Manual		     =
LOADER(8)

NAME

    =20
loader
 -- kernel bootstrapping final stage

. . .

   BUILTIN ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES

     The loader	has actually two different kinds of `environment' =
variables.
     There are ANS Forth's environmental queries, and a	separate space =
of
     environment variables used	by builtins, which are not directly =
available
     to	Forth words.  It is the	latter type that this section covers.
. . .
     dumpdev   Sets the	device for kernel dumps.  This can be used to =
ensure
	       that a device is	configured before the corresponding =
dumpdev
	       directive from rc.conf(5) has been processed, allowing =
kernel
	       panics that happen during the early stages of boot to be	=
cap-
	       tured.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard