Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2001 23:07:24 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Munish Chopra" <messiah_man@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Realtek 8139 NIC and IRQ problem.

Ah, then there's multiple variants of that chip out there then?  Are
the others clones or are they all from the same chip OEM?

>> For a deviation of the card to exist would imply that the card
>> manufacturers are actually spending money on hardware and software
>> design.
>
>No, that's an assumption.
>
>> That's assuming a lot for a card that usually sells for less than $9
>> USD
>
>Hmm.  That *is* cheap.  Is this a 10 Mb/s or a 100 Mb/s card?

Every 8139 I've seen is _supposed_ to be autoswitching at 10/100 (this
depends greatly on the hub - the 8139 always wants to assume 100BaseT
Full Duplex on power up and I don't believe that they properly implement
the Nway spec since they often do this on hubs that are 10BaseT only)
and all of them are single chip models (with the exception of a few caps and
such
for voltage purification) and while the cards seem to come in different
shapes and sizes with the chip positioned at different locations on the card
they all appear to be the same part number of chip, and are all made by
RealTek.

Of course this is no guarentee that RealTek won't make some design change in
the future that will require software rengineering, but I'd wonder why,
since they don't seem to be marketing to the high-performance crowd.  Their
other seller they are known for is the 10BaseT PCI card and it's main claim
fame is that it's NE2000 compliant, so for that one they didn't even have to
go to the effort to write a sample driver.  (not that the NE2000 chipset is
technically good chipset to want to emulate)  This is a company that is
wanting
to sell cheap silicon so they just leverage everyone else's effort.
Obviously,
they have a good thing going since they are now everybody's cheap Enet card,
most parts dealers that sell them just seem to put customer returns right
back on the
shelf without blinking.  And, yes they really do sell for $9 around here,
although
not using the RealTek name of course.  (you have to open the box to
determine it's
an 8139 based card)