Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 05:13:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Lanny Baron <lnb@FreeBSDsystems.COM>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   the talk about fbsd in linux and free cd's

I must be really stupid. Who in the corporate world cares if FreeBSD is
mentioned in a linux mag or article. As a business person, I look in trade
magazines and some computer magazines/papers. I will tell you this. In
this months Computer paper (Toronto edition) a 1/4 or just slightly larger
add from the University of Toronto, showing 4 versions of Linux at the
Bookstore at U of T. That IS what gets people buying.

Now Jordan, you told the guy in mail here he should go ahead and get free
FreeBSD cd's made. Has anyone seen that Microsoft MAKES money? Not by
giving away cdroms for sure. It makes my blood boil to see this nonsense.

Jordan, and anyone here connected with The FreeBSD Project, I only want to
see the organization succeed in all aspects. But the marketing in my eyes
is not good. Sorry for the criticism but that is how I see it. Jordan you
know what I am up too. And please dont spread it, but I will tell you the
marketing budget for 3 years is at well over 2 million dollars.

I hope you dont burn free freebsd cdroms. It looks cheap, and people that
WANT quality expect it to cost. In their logical minds, it works something
like this. Well, lets see, the system the company sells out performs
others like NT and Novell and can keep pace with IBM AS 400's. Hmm..and
its free...nah how good can it be? Ahh..they will be out of business and
then we're stuck.

Red Hat here costs at least $60.00 NT costs about 12 or 13 hundred. I
wonder who IS making money. I know who is NOT.

Regards,

Lanny Baron

http://ca.samba.org/samba/samba.html  <--- official Canadian mirror
http://cybertouch.org <--- my sentimental ISP (which i dont advertise)