Date:      Wed, 07 Jun 2006 01:13:19 +0200
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Moving Skype from Windows -> FreeBSD 6.x ...

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 16:45:04 -0300 (ADT)
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> The big issue that I have, and even had on my Windows box, that is
> preventing me from make more use of it then to make calls out, is
> getting speakers to co-exist with my headset ... basically, unless I
> have the headset on, there is no way to hear it ringing ...

This part I don't know about. In my testing (not Skype) on a laptop
with both internal and USB speakers, I could get them to co-exist
nicely, and with well-behaved programs (for some values of
"well-behaved" at least) I could select which audio device (eg. dsp0,
dsp1, etc) to use.
AFAIR, Skype only lets you select one audio device, and will use that
for all it's sound output, both ringing tone and voice output. This is
clearly not what everybody wants, and I would love to be proven wrong
here.

> Now, a bit of searching on the 'Net, I know I can get USB Speakers,
> but is that something only Windows supports, or will FreeBSD support
> it?

See snd_uaudio(4).

> Thoughts / suggestions?

Talk to the developers of Skype, and ask them how to select a different
audio device for ringing signal output?
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen,