Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:15:01 -0400
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   make world error in RELENG_2_2

Hi again. Well, after I struggled to build the latest RELENG_2_2 for so
long, I decided to take the advice of the wise (who believed that my system
was somehow hosed) and reinstall my system.

So I dug out the 2.2.1 CD and installed - boy has sysinstall improved since
the last time I installed in August '96!! Looks great.

However, when I cvsup'ed the lastest RELENG_2_2 and did a make world, it
still puked!!! Arggh. If you search the mail archives for "tclMtherr" you'll
see that several other people have had the same problems.

The problem seems to be some sort of confusion as to whether or not FreeBSD
needs the math error support. I noticed that there was no Makefile, so
I ran 'configure' in /usr/src/contrib/tcl/unix and it said:
	matherr support ... no

Hmm. I'm not sure how to interpret that (which is the root of the problem
here). The question is: do I need the tclMtherr routine or not? I played
around with source abit, and discoverd some descrepencies with the
#defines.... but it all seems to be irrelevant anyhow since after I
ran the configure script and did 'make' all went well. tclMtherr compiled
no problem and I'm happy again. So I guess it's a simple case of the
Makefile file is missing from the distribution, and the Makefile.in isn't
doing the right thing under FreeBSD.

I have no idea why this isn't showing up on other peoples' systems however,
since most people aren't getting this screwup. Perhaps I'm just CVS
jinx'ed or something bizarre...

cya,
-Mark

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark

	 finger mark@quickweb.com for my PGP key and GCS code
	University degrees are a bit like adultery: you may not want to
	get involved with that sort of thing, but you don't want to be
	thought incapable.	-Sir Peter Imbert