Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2001 21:41:51 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>, "Jim Conner" <jconner@enterit.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Odd messages at startup after deleting device drivers

> At 00:56 11.24.2001 +0100, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> >Jim writes:
> >
> > > cd /boot
> > > edit kernel.conf
> >
> >Thanks.  Where in the handbook is the purpose of this file mentioned?  I
did a
> >search on www.freebsd.org and found only one hit, and only because it was
> >shown
> >in a listing of boot messages.
>
> Hmm.  That is a very good question.  Perhaps someone else here knows
> because this is something I happened upon myself a long time ago when I
was
> messin around with my new kernel.

Some network cards, such as those using the 'ed' driver, have IRQ, port and
memory addresses specified in the kernel configuration file.  If you should
happen to replace a failed card with a replacement, that has different
settings, you can just edit a few lines in /boot/kernel.conf rather than
rebuilding the entire kernel with the new settings.

--
Matt Emmerton