Date:      Sat, 24 Dec 1994 12:43:26 +1100 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@physics.su.oz.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        mdavis@io.cts.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A lighter sup -v?

>> In using sup, I found that -v is the only way for it to report which
>> files have been received.  However, in addition to that, it wants to
>> tell you all the files that have been "updated" as well.  I assume
>> that "updated" simply means that "Hey, we checked your file and the
>> host's file and you don't need to update it."
>
>No, actually not.  It means "I checked the file and the dates didn't
>match, even if the contents did, so I'm stamping it again and
>recording the fact in my sup logs."  In most stable situations, you
>shouldn't even see that most of the time!

It means that the ctime of the file is more recent that the previous
sup date, but the mtimes are the same.  The actual file contents (and
file size) are not checked.  A common cause of these updates is if the
sup server's collection has been restored from a backup, or moved to a
different filesystem, etc.

David