Date:      Thu, 1 Dec 2005 10:15:28 +0800
From:      Jia-Shiun Li <jiashiun@gmail.com>
To:        Daniel Rock <freebsd@deadcafe.de>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD amd 64 and VMWARE issues

2005/12/1, Daniel Rock <freebsd@deadcafe.de>:
> Jia-Shiun Li schrieb:
> > Derrick,
> >
> > You must have
> > 1.Windows x64 edition as host
> You can run an 64 bit guest OS on a 32 bit Windows host.

That's not what I realized:
http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/releasenotes_ws55.html

> > 2.VMWare Workstation 5.5 (from which begins to support amd64 guests)
> > to install amd64 version as guest OS.
> 3. You need an Athlon64/Opteron processor with at least D-Stepping. AFAIK=
 all
> Socket 754 processors are stepping CG or lower. So I don't think you will=
 have
> any luck even with the current VMWare release.
> http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/Default.aspx

ya... I just found that not every x64 CPU will work. Only those Intel
ones with VT (Pentium 4 6[67]2), and AMD ones of newer stepping (I
dont know what is the real difference that matters) can run 64-bit
guests. These CPUs are still rare.

Jia-Shiun