Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 09:29:13 +0200
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports Team <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: all those .la files

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 01, 1999 at 10:51:08PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
> Every one of our posts that uses the new libtool monstrosity installs,
> along with the libraries, at least one (and sometimes several) files
> ending with .la.  These are useless ascii files that clutter up the
> library directories with no use to life other than to obscure listings
> of your libs (when you're trying to find "real" libs).
>
> How about changing portlint to where it catches any installed filename
> starting in "lib" and ending in ".la" and complains that the file should
> be manually 'terminated with extreme prejudice'?

Yet another reason to consider moving all the libtool ports to use a
local copy of libtool.

1. No more shared lib patches.
2. Can patch it to add thinggs like '11d' to the installed libs.
3. Can not install .la files.
4. <add more as you see fit>

Regards,
 -Jeremy

--
  |   "In this world of temptation, I will stand for what is right.
--+--  With a heart of salvation, I will hold up the light.