Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:22:28 -0600
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>
Cc:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>, Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: funding TCP stack rewrite

* George V. Neville-Neil <gnn@neville-neil.com> [011130 15:15] wrote:
> > I don't think a rewrite is ever going to be much of a good idea,
> > a restructuring might, meaning that fixing up all the layering
> > and making it more flat like Van Jacobson suggested (and Linux
> > implemented in one of their stack of the year projects) might
> > gain us performance.
>
> I would disagree, and I'll say why in a second.

You're allowed to disagree, it's just not as productive as actually
dictating design.  If you were to prosose how this rewrite should/would
be done, not just the goals then  people would pick various pieces
and do them, but just stating goals without the means to achieve
those goals isn't very productive.

-Alfred